MLR Referral Form
About this Application
This form must be completed by a solicitor for Medico-Legal Assessment ONLY. Initial Assessment application forms to
access broader Spirasi services are available here.
Spirasi's remit for IA is based on the United Nations Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (UNCAT) definition of torture.
We, therefore, provide services to those whose experiences are encompassed by the following elements of the UNCAT definition:
• Experience of severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental where it was:
• Intentionally inflicted by another person or persons:
• For specific purposes, namely obtaining information or a confession, or to punish, coerce or intimidate, and this was:
• Carried out by a state actor or person acting in an official capacity.
On an exceptional basis, and within our context as a non-governmental organisation with limited resources, we may
consider MLR referrals which encapsulate ‘serious harm’ as defined by the Qualification Directive
(Directive 2011/95/EU) and related jurisprudence. The limits of our remit mean that we cannot accept referrals in
relation to violence of a primarily domestic or familial nature, or where the violence inflicted is of a strictly criminal
In view of this, please answer the questions in this application as precisely as possible:
- Complete all sections of this application
- Reply to confirmation email with requested documents
Any queries regarding the online referral process can be submitted to email@example.com